Top 9 USA Spring Break Destinations Your Kids Will Love
Typically a week-long break between mid-March and mid-April, spring break is the perfect time for families to recharge after a long winter. From water parks and roller coasters to beautiful beach getaways, the United States beckons with a long list of exciting spring break destinations the entire family can enjoy.
With over 400 million visitors to HotelsCombined, we’ve compiled a list of the best spring break destinations in the United States for families and the top accommodations nearby. These family-friendly hotels offer a range of room options, fun on-site facilities such as outdoor pools and great locations close to shopping, dining and sightseeing.
Considered the theme park capital of the world, Orlando is arguably the most family-friendly destination in the United States. You’ll have your pick of family spots such as Walt Disney World, Universal Orlando and Legoland, while beautiful beaches and natural swimming holes are just a short drive away.
Best Spring Break Activities in Orlando
- Say hello to your favourite Disney characters at Walt Disney World, or attend the annual Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival.
- Celebrate a kid-friendly version of Mardi Gras at Universal Studios with dazzling parades, concerts and Cajun cuisine.
- Spend a day outdoors at nearby New Smyrna Beach, Cocoa Beach or Wekiwa Springs State Park.
Take advantage of one of the country’s top spring break destinations while staying at Omni Orlando Resort at ChampionsGate, which has one of the best hotels pools in Orlando. Families will love the 260-metre-long lazy river, zero-entry family pool, slides and wave pool, as well as the Camp Omni Kids Escape with kid-friendly activities and a mini-golf course.
Facing a 36-hole Greg Norman-designed championship course, the spacious rooms boast two queen-size beds, flat-screen TVs, mini fridges and Keurig coffee makers, with some featuring private balconies. For an open kitchen, built-in wet bar and washer and dryer units, upgrade to a Villa.
- Disney’s Animal Kingdom (15 kilometres)
- Fun Spot America Kissimmee (15 kilometres)
- Disney’s Blizzard Beach Water Park (9 kilometres)
Star Rating: 5*
Price: USD 119 – USD 409
Guest Rating: 9
Address: 1500 Masters Boulevard, Four Corners, Orlando, United States
Washington, D.C. offers a wealth of cultural attractions that make it one of the top spring break destinations in the United States. Not only are the cherry trees in bloom, but you can fill your itinerary with free museum hopping, garden strolls and outdoor recreation.
Best Spring Break Activities in Washington, D.C.
- Running from late March through mid-April, the National Cherry Blossom Festival is a sight to see.
- Enjoy the outdoors at the National Zoo or a Washington Nationals baseball game.
- Learn about American history at the White House, Capitol Building and the National Archives.
Hyatt House Washington DC/The Wharf boasts spacious rooms and suites with stunning water views of the Potomac River. Furnished with two queen-size beds, the Riverview Den Guestroom includes a mini fridge and flat-screen TV, while The Riverview One Bedroom Suite adds a kitchenette and separate living room.
Enjoy the complimentary breakfast before making a splash in the heated rooftop pool. The 24-hour H Market is a one-stop-shop for to-go snacks and groceries, while zesty Korean street tacos are served from the Sip + Snack Menu at H Bar. Travelling with your dog? Hyatt House welcomes your four-legged friend.
Star Rating: 3*
Price: USD 207 – USD 795
Guest Rating: 9.1
Address: 725 Wharf Street SW, Downtown Washington D.C, Washington D.C., United States
Wisconsin Dells, Wisconsin
Dubbed the Waterpark Capital of the World, Wisconsin Dells is easily one of the best spring break destinations with its collection of renowned indoor water parks. While chilly in this part of the Midwest in March and April, this year-round destination offers plenty of indoor family fun, kid-focused attractions and amusement parks.
Best Spring Break Activities in Wisconsin Dells
- Check out an illusion show at Rick Wilcox Magic Theater.
- Spend a day at Knuckleheads Trampoline with its cosmic bowling lanes and trampoline park.
- Visit the “Strip”, the lively downtown district with shops, restaurants and souvenir shops.
A national brand with 17 locations across America, Great Wolf Lodge Wisconsin Dells is beloved for its on-site water park with slides, mini-golf and arcade. On-site dining its highlighted by tasty pizza at Hungry As A Wolf and wood-fired steaks at Lodge Wood Fire Grill, while Bear Paw Sweet & Eats serves a range of decadent desserts.
Spacious Suites feature two queen-size beds, full-size sofa sleepers and separate living areas, while Themed Suites such as KidCabin Suite has a cabin-themed sleeping area with bunk beds, private patio and gas fireplace. For extra space with a full kitchen and dining area, upgrade to a multi-room Condo.
- Tom Foolerys Adventure Park (1.4 kilometres)
- Wizard Quest (8 kilometres)
- Knuckleheads Trampoline Park (550 metres)
Star Rating: 3*
Price: USD 139 – USD 259
Guest Rating: 8
Address: 1400 Great Wolf Dr, Lake Delton, Wisconsin Dells, United States
Hilton Head, South Carolina
Hilton Head is a haven for families who love the outdoors, offering sun-soaked beaches and a slice of island life. This small-town gem is one of our favourite spring break destinations, offering a picturesque coastline, kid-friendly museums and local restaurants serving Southern favourites.
Best Spring Break Activities in Hilton Head
- Rent a bike and explore the island on two wheels or spot local wildlife at Pinckney Island National Wildlife Refuge.
- Hop aboard a pirate-themed cruise with Pirates of Hilton Head.
- Learn about the environment along the trails at Coastal Discovery Museum.
Sonesta Resort – Hilton Head Island is a premier spring break destination, nestled along the coast and surrounded by tropical gardens. Kids can swim in the zero-entry lagoon swimming pool or enjoy beach adventures in the “Just Us Kids” program, while the on-site ice cream shop is a hit with all ages and parents will love the lavish on-site spa and multiple dining options.
In-room amenities include high-speed Wi-Fi, mini fridges and Keurig coffee makers. Family-friendly Garden View Guest Rooms have garden views and two queen-size beds, while luxury Ocean View Studio Suites include an entertainment area, sectional sofa and ocean views from a private balcony.
- Coligny Plaza Shopping Center (3.5 kilometres)
- Adventure Cove Mini Golf & Arcade (9.1 kilometres)
- Batters Box Hilton Head Island (11.9 kilometres)
Star Rating: 4*
Price: USD 194 – USD 435
Guest Rating: 9
Address: 130 Shipyard Drive, Hilton Head Island, South Carolina, United States
San Diego, California
San Diego is “America’s Finest City”, luring in families with its year-round sunshine and beautiful beaches. We’ve picked San Diego as one of the top spring break destinations due to its long list of family-friendly attractions, pleasant weather and coastal adventures.
Best Spring Break Activities in San Diego
- Observe animals at the San Diego Zoo, then visit Balboa Park’s other attractions such as the San Diego Natural History Museum.
- Go boogie boarding at Coronado Beach or watch playful sea lions at La Jolla Shores.
- Day trip to nearby LEGOLAND California to enjoy its water park, rides and shows.
Rated by HotelsCombined as one of the best places to stay in San Diego, Hotel del Coronado Curio Collection by Hilton is housed in a grand 1888 Victorian property on the beach. In addition to an inviting swimming pool, a pizzeria and beachfront taco shack, kids will love the daily beach games and movies on the beach.
Families will find a collection of stylish rooms with flat-screen TVs, mini fridges and Wi-Fi. You can enjoy beautiful ocean views from a private balcony in a Suite, or stay in a Family Suite with kids’ rooms and toys.
- The New Children’s Museum (8.5 kilometres)
- San Diego Air & Space Museum (9.6 kilometres)
- USS Midway Museum (9.5 kilometres)
Star Rating: 5*
Price: USD 297 – USD 2,602
Guest Rating: 8.1
Address: 1500 Orange Ave, Coronado, San Diego, United States
San Antonio, Texas
San Antonio is a top spring break destination with its Texas-sized theme parks, children’s museums, historic landmarks and leafy parks. In addition to the city’s iconic downtown River Walk and The Alamo, families can explore its Natural Bridge Caverns or take a break in the tranquil Japanese Tea Garden.
Best Spring Break Activities in San Antonio
- Get your thrills on the pulse-pounding roller coasters rides and water slides at Six Flags Fiesta Texas.
- Enjoy interactive exhibits at The DoSeum or catch a live show at Magik Theatre.
- Get wild at San Antonio Zoo or observe exotic wildlife at Natural Bridge Wildlife Ranch.
Set within the beautiful Texas Hill Country, Hyatt Residence Club San Antonio Wild Oak Ranch is designed like a historic ranch with rustic wood beams and custom furnishings. Residential-style one, two and three-bedroom condos feature private balconies, fully equipped kitchens and spa tubs.
Amongst its 15 hectares of landscaping are scenic nature trails, while the indoor/outdoor pool area with water slides, 243-metre river pool and fire pit are extra perks. Enjoy delicious burgers at J.B’s Poolside Restaurants, then grab snacks at The Icehouse or catch a movie under the stars.
- San Antonio Aquarium (10.8 kilometres)
- Six Flags Fiesta Texas (25.5 kilometres)
- SeaWorld San Antonio (4.3 kilometres)
Star Rating: 4.5*
Price: USD 129 – USD 793
Guest Rating: 9.2
Address: 9700 W Military Drive, Northwest San Antonio, San Antonio, United States
Families will find plenty to do in Williamsburg, from theme park rides and exciting outdoor adventures to living colonial history. The city is not only one of the best spring break destinations but it’s a year-round getaway designed for family fun.
Best Spring Break Activities in Williamsburg
- Experience the hair-raising and kid-friendly rides at Busch Gardens Williamsburg.
- Combine adventure with education at Colonial Williamsburg, which is considered the world’s largest living history museum.
- Go on a family bike ride on the Historic Jamestowne Bike Trail and stop for panoramic views of the James River.
Kingsmill Resort offers a fun escape for families with its stunning James River setting, championship golf courses, indoor/outdoor pools and Kids Camp. Parents can get pampered at the spa, while the whole family will love the seasonal menu and river views at Elements 1010 restaurant and coffee and sweets at The Mill.
Riverside accommodations include one, two and three-bedroom condos with private balconies, Keurig coffee makers and flat-screen TVs. Three and four-bedroom private cottages are available, as well as a lavish Estate at Kingsmill with an infinity pool, private chef and James River views.
- Busch Gardens Williamsburg (6.2 kilometres)
- Colonial Williamsburg Historic Area (8.8 kilometres)
- Jamestown Beach (15 kilometres)
Star Rating: 4*
Price: USD 159 – USD 859
Guest Rating: 8.9
Address: 1010 Kingsmill Road, Williamsburg, Virginia, United States
Clearwater Beach, Florida
Clearwater Beach is one of Florida’s top beach getaways for families and a favourite spring break destination, loved by all for its powdery white sand beach and easy access to kid-friendly attractions. Considered one of the best beaches in the country, water-loving families can enjoy parasailing, jet-skiing, snorkelling and dolphin-spotting cruises.
Best Spring Break Activities in Clearwater Beach
- Discover imagination and creativity at the kid-friendly Great Explorations Children’s Museum.
- Enjoy free nightly sunset celebrations with local musicians and street performers at Pier 60.
- Spend a day outdoors at popular outdoor spots such as Fort De Soto, Caladesi Island State Park and Sand Key Park.
Offering a primate location on Clearwater Beach, Sandpearl Resort is home to family-friendly rooms and suites with coastal-inspired decor, full kitchens and sweeping ocean views. For extra space, stay in the Gulf Front Two Bedroom Deluxe Suite with a washer and dryer, separate living room and furnished balcony.
Visit Caretta’s for live music and succulent seafood or enjoy Gulf Coast cuisine at Tate Island Grill, which is steps from the sand and zero-entry pool. Camp Ridley offers fun activities for little ones, while Sandpearl Spa rejuvenates parents with ocean-inspired treatments.
- Pier 60 (1.5 kilometres)
- Clearwater Marine Aquarium (2.3 kilometres)
- Caladesi Island State Park (3.3 kilometres)
Star Rating: 4*
Price: USD 249 – USD 815
Guest Rating: 9.1
Address: 500 Mandalay Avenue, Clearwater, Florida, United States
Honolulu is a tropical slice of paradise, bucket list family destination and the capital of Hawaii, but it also offers a prime location for dining, shopping and outdoor adventures. The island of Oahu is one of the top spring break destinations in the U.S. for adventure-seeking families, offering memorable activities such as hiking, snorkelling and traditional luaus.
Best Spring Break Activities in Honolulu
- Go snorkelling in the postcard-perfect Hanauma Bay, which boasts one of the best beaches in the United States.
- Enjoy fun activities, good food and traditional performances at Paradise Cove Luau.
- Hike to the summit of Diamond Head, which looms over Waikiki and offers spectacular panoramic coastal views.
Boasting the best oceanfront views in Waikiki Beach, Outrigger Waikiki Beach Resort invites you to experience the best of Hawaii at this award-winning hotel. Overlooking the Pacific Ocean, Ocean View rooms come equipped with a private balcony, coffee maker and sitting area as well as one king or two double size beds. Save money in the City View rooms, which feature private balconies, blackout drapes and refrigerators.
Kids can make a splash at the outdoor pool or head straight to the beach for a day of surfing lessons. The atmosphere is always fun at Duke’s Waikiki Restaurant, which pairs fresh seafood with live music, while Hula Grill Waikiki has hula performances. Complimentary beach yoga lessons are also available.
- Ala Moana Regional Park (2.2 kilometres)
- Honolulu Zoo (2.7 kilometres)
- Waikiki Aquarium (1.5 kilometres)
Star Rating: 4*
Price: USD 198 – USD 770
Guest Rating: 8.8
Address: 2335 Kalakaua Avenue, Waikiki, Honolulu, United States
Family Fun at These Top Spring Break Destinations
Whether you’re a thrill-seeking family looking for theme park fun or beach lovers who prefer to spend your vacation lounging in the sun, the United States has an extensive list of spring break destinations that offer a kid-friendly atmosphere. With this, there is an abundance of family-friendly hotels to choose from, offering on-site restaurants, in-room entertainment, mini fridges and a variety of room types.
Which spring break destination in the United States is your favourite? Let us know in the comments below.